Sunday, June 15, 2008

Why would a non-blogger... blog?

The reason is simple.

I have a bazillion friends who don't know I even exist.

I started out my blog-reading days with the freebie blogs. One day, a new one arrived on the scene. Alicia's blog started out with her showing us how she survived in SL on only 5L per day. Ergo, more freebie posts - yay! I added her blog as one I read regularly, and watched her progress to the place where she was blogging more about her life in SL, and the fun things and people she encountered there. Soon, she had a ton of other blogs she was linking to, and friends commenting on her blog which lead me to blogs of their own.

So, now I'm reading everyone's blog, but they don't know that I am. I started feeling like a peeping Tom, as I got to "know" these people, while they had no idea I was "watching" them.

A week or so ago, I ran into CeNedra at the Surfline sim. I recognized her at the time I wandered in, but stayed silent until she wondered aloud about at item we were both looking for. So, now.. I have to answer, or ignore. I can't ignore - not in my nature - and I "knew" Cen from her blog and some of her thoughtful comments I've seen on other blogs, and knew she was cool. We struck up a very nice conversation, and she slid me the landmark to the Viper Pit for their Get Humped parties. The next one was to be her birthday party. I thought long and hard about going. Not that she was expecting me, but everyone's blog posts all seemed to be full of how much fun the parties are - and I don't doubt it, cause I *know* the people who attend, right?

But... these people don't know *me*. They don't know I exist. And as I noted every blogger in their social circle talk about the upcoming party.. I realized, I'm not one of them, and these parties have become "blogger" parties. People even commented several times about looking forward to meeting another blogger LOL. They knew each other - it was a two way knowledge. How the heck do I show up at such a party and have everyone go... "who?". At some point during the evening of Cen's birthday party, I took a peek at the map. 36 people on the sim, only two of which were *not* in that giant grouping in the far corner of the sim. Yeah, no way was I wandering into that group when I wasn't just a stranger, I was a lurker.. a voyeur *shudder*. And by showing up, I'd be outing myself as such.

So, I'm outing myself now. I have no idea if I'll ever show at one of those parties, but that's not the point. The point is, I need to stop feeling like I'm peeking in windows without people's knowledge. So, I may leave comments in some people's blogs from time to time, and if they want, they can track back here, and know that I exist. I might still be peeking in their windows, but at least they have fair warning now and I can stop feeling so pervy :D.

And that is why this non-blogger.. blogged.

* footynote time.. I know that I do not "know" any of the people who's blogs I read. But after a while, one feels kinda like you do. And, really, I do know some of you a lil bit. Your personalities, likes, dislikes, interests and heart show in your posts, and in your comments on other people's blogs. So, sorry.. I do, kinda, know you, just a lil bit. But, to assured, I'm not delusional about it :P

6 comments:

Sehra Kauffman said...

LOL, you should have come, there were like 10 newbies to the party and around 7 others I had never seen before! You would have fit right in, Plus, we don't bite! And several of the regulars don't even have blogs! Come next week!

Sunflower said...

Welcome to blogworld ;)

I was there but I didn't talk to anyone. I just took pictures. LOL

Dyami Jameson said...

You definitely have to try and make it sometime. As I've said before, we're kind of getting to be one big family. We'd love to have you join us sometime!

I was a lurker for awhile before I started my own blog. Like you I felt like I got to know a few people through their blogs. Matter of fact, I finally did meet some of them at the Viper Pit parties, and those people have become some really good friends.

C said...

Nikki I do hope you come.

Our parties started out with one blogger, Ali LOL. Some others started to come, and some of our party guests started to blog LOL.

I'm not sure how it's turned into a blogger party, this last one was probably because of the challenge we were doing, but it's never been the intention.

You describe it perfectly about having friends you don't know. Half the people whose blog I read and comment on I've never met, or met once very briefly.

It SEEMS like we're a tight circle LOL but that's just one of the strange things that happens when you comment on blogs it seems, even if you never start your own although I'm glad you did.

Come to the party, I need a another Canadian girl!

Alicia Chenaux said...

Oh silly girl, come to the parties! :) This last one was kind of blogger-focused, since we were all in that challenge and everyone wanted to meet, but it definitely wasn't all bloggers. :) So pull on some latex or silks for this week and come join us!

And welcome to Blogworld. Once you enter, you can never leave. ;)

Nikki Zenovka said...

omg.. comments!

thanks for the welcome everyone :)

sehra - good to know I wouldnt be the only stranger peeking in! but.. it's a fetish party. no biting? :(

quaintly - sounds good. you take pictures silently, and I'll watch silently!

dynami and cen - yes, I can see how close you all are - and yet you obviously welcome all. I never felt that I would be 'unwelcome'. I just tend to be shy :)

ali - I feel myself getting sucked further into this blogging thing - but I'll probably be more of a commenter than a poster. I know I'm looking for updates a lot more than I was before I outted myself. I have a ton to learn about how this all works - heck, I haven't yet figured out how to hyperlink so that when I posted about your blog it would point to your page. Sorry about that - it wasn't an intentional slight!