Saturday, July 12, 2008

The totally incorrect way to meet a man, that worked for me anyway (or, OMG, you were a DANCER!)

Alicia's recent post asked those of us in relationships, "where did you meet?".

This is something I've been meaning to post about, so I figure this is as good an opportunity as any.

As my SL profile has not been updated in many, many months, some of you who have viewed it may have come to the brilliant conclusion that I was, once, a *gasp* dancer. Yes, I danced on a pole, wore sexy outfits, and took off pieces of clothing when I received enough "pennies".

I can see you all wrinkling your nose at me now. I understand how "strippers" are viewed in certain circles.

And guess what? I met my love, as a dancer, in the club where I worked, when he wandered in as a relative newbie yet!

I seem to have had a different experience than many dancer/strippers I hear about. Maybe it was the way I spoke to the people who came to see me, that I attracted *quality* people around me. I frustrated the girls who worked alongside me when I developed a large following of 'regulars'. Especially when they were doing their darnest to drag those people into the chairs in front of them, and the sexy talk wasn't doing it for them. But I spent a lot of time on that stage, in that quiet club (yes, it wasn't doing so well when there were no dancers and no customers in half the time). And I spoke to *everyone* that came in, in a friendly, non-sleazy way. Even if they were brand new. Even if they had no 'payment info', or hot skin or the latest prim hair or shoes.

I have had two "relationships" in SL. One I cared about well enough, and one I care about to the extreme. Both of these I met in the club while I was dancing. Both have been perfect gentlemen. And there are a number of others I could have coupled with had I not been so adverse or resistant to the idea, who were *nice* guys too!

Ghilt is one of the most respectful, loving, considerate men I have *ever* met. I resisted forever, because I was NOT looking for a relationship. In fact, we had that conversation a few times while he courted me LOL. I had customers who I'm sure liked the idea that I was single, and I enjoyed being free to explore SL on my own terms, without being "tied down". Ghilt stuck around and was my friend anyway, happy to be with me, even with all the protective walls I put up around myself. And he won over my heart, and slowly broke down those walls. And now I cannot imagine my life without him in it.

He is a wonderful, respectful gentleman, and as such, I have to think I'm not so bad myself, or he would never, ever have put up with me (and continue to put up with me!).

So.. this answers Ali's question. And lets me talk a bit about how not all curvy avatars with iced blonde 'big' hair, who happen to dance (or once danced) are trashy women with no morals or self-esteem. Thankyouverymuch.

Perhaps it is more about who you talk to, how you talk to them, and the airs we put out. My friendships and relationships I formed as a dancer came out of us spending so much time just talking, while my avatar spun around that pole and they sat in the chair in front of me. When you just *talk*, without trying to hook up, and you just get to know someone, that's when the best relationships form.

4 comments:

C said...

*hugs Nikki*

I have friends who were or are dancers, so it's not that big of a deal.

I find that with my friends who do work as dancers or stippers, I don't think of them as "dancers" I think of them as my friends first and they happen to dance as a side job LOL. The same with my friends who hostess or DJ, it's just what they do not who they are.

On the other hand, I've met many other dancers who have no interest in making female friends, or exploring SL, or hanging out with groups of people just having regular fun. I would say they are "on duty" all the time in terms of clothing and behaviour. Does that make any sense? Those are sadly the ones that people think of when they hear the term "darncer" but I know there are many great exceptions.

I love this story and I'm very happy for you guys :)

Nikki Zenovka said...

Thanks Cen :)

I realize this was kind of a dark, defensive post. It was difficult to publish, and I realize that it too will draw some judgments. But I felt the message had to be put out there, and I'm no worse off for it.

I appreciate your comments. I don't expect everyone to take 'my side', but it's good to know people are listening one way or the other.

On the flip side - you and Dyami are the perfect story of how it *should be* done, and the way I'd advise anyone asking about how to meet someone. I wouldn't recommend getting a job as a stripper to meet a man, it just worked that way for me, even if I wasn't looking for it LOL.

Hugs to you Cen!

C said...

We both met great guys when we weren't looking, I think that's the lesson LOL stop looking for a guy and he'll walk right into your life LMAO

Nikki Zenovka said...

Hmmm - kinda like real life, isn't it? I think there is an attractiveness to people who aren't looking desperately and are happy with themselves the way we are (oh, and I'm not saying any of the people I know come off as desperate! but I have known others in the past that it consumed them so badly, they couldn't have any fun as they were always on a desperate prowl).

SL isn't RL, but it mirrors it in some aspects, and if you're looking for a meaningful relationship, I think most RL lessons can be brought over into SL, including the best ways to meet people and form quality relationships. Just as you stop looking.. there they are lol